Tuesday 17 April 2012

In the spotlight! marjorie - handmade for children.

Buy SA Handmade is a great resource to access wonderful handmade items. I would like to introduce one of the businesses to you ...


How did you come up with your business name?
marjorie is my dear Nanna's name. I spent a lot of time with her when I was young. She was a vibrant, colourful person who loved life. I am inspired by her 1950's style, I love art deco furniture and homewares and vintage fabrics and patterns because they remind me of her. You will see this styling present throughout my work.


How did you come to making infants items?
I have had two preschoolers and a baby in the last four years. Previously I was a teacher, and I did a lot of mosaics and photography. Since having my children I have visited lots of local markets looking for good quality home made and original gifts and clothing and have felt inspired by the immense creativity in South Australia. I have enjoyed making things for my own children and I love the connection with other mums who love what I do and share it with their own families.




What do you enjoy most about being crafty?
 I am a creative person who enjoys making, thinking, designing...there are always ideas in my head. Making things is a great release of energy for me, it keeps me positive and happy and I think that makes me a better mum too! My children love being surrounded by the fabrics and the things I make which is a nice environment to grow up in, I think.



What inspires you?
I have a strong desire to be the type of person who dances to their own drum. I don't try to follow trends and I like to look outside the square. The amazing creativity of others inspires me and also the amazing way business mums balance their lives and are successful in their own right. I am very motivated by a need to live a life that is sustainable. I buy fabrics and clothing from local charity stores as the concept of reusing existing resources and supporting other organisations is an important part of my philosophy. Lastly, the designs, colours and styles now popularly described as 'vintage' have always been the great love of my life and will remain so into the future.




Tell us three things you would like your customers to know about you or your business?
marjorie is an evolving creative project, it is an original and unique expression of a love of fabric and design.
marjorie is created in a little house in South Plympton by one mum (me!) surrounded by three lovely, vibrant children
marjorie is all about vintage!

Why do you like to Buy SA Handmade?
Supporting local businesses is really important, buying from our neighbours and friends supports our community and has a lot of positive flow on effects for everyone.
There is thankfully a growing understanding of the need to know where you bought a product, who you brought it from, what it's made from and the conditions in which it was made. Buying locally from the producer helps you gain that understanding and that definitely has a feel good factor!
SA is full of wonderfully creative people. Why wouldn't you buy amazing things made by truly talented people?!

You can buy these and other wonderful items from marjorie - handmade for children at  www.facebook.com/marjoriehandmade and www.madeit.com/marjorie .

No comments:

Post a Comment