Wednesday 11 April 2012

So what are the advantages?

Well I could do a top ten or my favourites, run a poll or even quick Q&A. However, I think the biggest advantage is financial.

There are two sides to this.

What's in it for me?

Always a big factor. As a shopper there are a few financial advantages to buying local handmade items.

I find that I actually spend less money! Shock horror! Just think what you can buy for $20 at your local chain department store for a child. Pictured? So for the last present my son bought his little friend a handmade fabric flower, a wooden toy camera and eight handmade crayons. I had a handmade card that I had bought for $3 and that was the present.

OK, so it might not sound like the latest whizz bang commercial toy, but just think of a five year old girl, or any child, with three different presents in one bag. Think of the smiles and the playing. I have bought handmade dolls and teddies that have been given pride of pillow place. Now how does that make you feel? A bit warm and fuzzy? That's the benefit.

But the warm and fuzzy doesn't stop there.



What's in it for them?

My two children have always shown deep concern and sympathy for others, so I always like to stick the shoe on the other foot.

For the person you have bought off of you have:
  • reaffirmed why they love doing what they do (warm fuzzy)
  • helped with their marketing (word of mouth sales)
  • helped to pay for the cost of selling and making the item
  • potentially helped to pay for something their family needs (some fund raise for medical bills)
I am certain their are other reasons why it helps. For me another benefit is when individuals ask for custom items. What generally happens is that these then take on a life of their own and generate more of the "What's in it for them?".

So please consider keeping your hard earned money in the local community or with the producer directly. They will receive all of the financial profits and you both might get a "warm fuzzy" in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment