Thursday 26 April 2012

Week One: Work at home Mum

So I am coming to the end of my first week being a stay at home Mum. I have cast off the shackles of a monotonous, though well paid job, to concentrate on what matters.

What do they say? If you do what you love, you will never work another day in your life.
But that's the thing, discounting the jobs I do as Mum & wife, I do work. I still work. I'm just doing one I enjoy and that I can do from home.

So why am I feeling empty?

Why is this new way of life not seems as rosy as I expected? Did I have unrealistic expectations/ Don't get me wrong, I'm not going back to the old day job.

But I wonder, what is expected of the work at home Mum?


Is this me? Is this who I am meant to be? Things were simple when I was Mum before/after work, employee and then business woman after the kids go to bed.

Maybe that's it, maybe I am lacking a defined role? Here was I thinking that my husband had no idea of what I did. Maybe it's that I have no idea of what I do or what my role is!

I want to be there for my children, grow my business, provide great service, get my name out there, develop new ideas, have time for my husband time for my friends and time for myself. You know what I just noticed, the order of that list. I wonder what would happen if I changed the order in my head???? Maybe my family comes first and my business second. Maybe my business comes first? (My work generally did) Or is that the issue, I am not used to putting my family first and now that I am it is odd? I always thought I could juggle?


But maybe I shouldn't juggle? Maybe I just need to learn a new world order? lol



So what if I start with what I know. I know this has been a difficult but worthwhile decision. I know that very few things are finite. I know my kids are already benefiting. I know my husband doesn't understand all that I am doing. I know that life wasn't meant to be easy. I know I have a lot to be grateful for. I know I love my job (no matter which hat it is business, wife, Mum).

No comments:

Post a Comment